Saturday, January 5, 2013

Bella's Birthday is here again...and she is 5!

Happy Birthday Bella! I cannot believe that she is 5 already. It seems like not too long ago we were celebrating her 1st birthday when she absolutely refused to wear her party hat. That was funny. Then the next year she was really excited about her Dora cake but she kept saying that it wasn't her birthday..."it's no birthday" she would say every time I told her it was her birthday. Her third birthday had the infamous rainbow cake and her 4th birthday had the princess cake...which kinda looked weird when it was all cut up and the poor doll didn't have any legs. So this year I had to come up with something different. I came across a checker board cake by accident in Micheal's when we were in Canada and I decided that I wanted to try to make one (minus the hugely expensive Wilton cake pan). Luckily it was just labour intensive rather than difficult. The hardest part was getting the buttercream on and trying to make it even since the cakes weren't all the same height. Check out the previous post to see how it was done!

This year instead of having the party at our house, we decided to have it at an "asukaspuisto". These are community buildings and attached playgrounds that are for children and after school care during the week. On the weekends they can be rented by people for children-related events...like birthday parties. The building that we were in had a large kitchen, two open rooms (one with the table for eating) and one with a couch and toys, a mud room for all the coats and boots and washrooms. All this for €19/hour! It was a way better idea than having everyone coming to our place. There was more room and it was easier to clean!




Getting the cake ready to present it to a bunch of party guests

A sparkler #5...that went over a treat



The outside

The inside

It got quiet for a little while...

Then the presents started to be opened

No comments: