Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Picnic Adventure

Yesterday was a beautiful day and so I decided that Isabella and I would go for a picnic. We hopped on the bus and started heading into Helsinki. I decided that the best place to go would be the park near the Opera House...well to be honest, I was thinking of Finlandia Hall but I got off at the wrong bus stop! And it didn't help that my mental map of that area of Helsinki was a little off. I got off one bus stop before I should have , which wasn't really a problem, I was just a little further from Subway than I thought. And that was going to be our (read: my) picnic. So off to Subway I went. Then over the road and into the park. I could have walked over to Finlandia Hall but why bother when the park was just as nice here! There is a small lake here and it really doesn't feel like you are in the middle of the city.

Isabella was wearing her new "Don't bug me!" outfit that Grandma bought her while we were in Canada and her new summer hat. I was surprised but she didn't even try to pull the hat off. She also had a chance to stand on the grass and squish her toes into something she had never felt before. Strange. We also saw all the lilacs along the main road. I never knew that there were so many lilac trees in Helsinki! It smelled wonderful as we were walked by.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday was a BEAUTIFUL day here as well, and such a nice day! Too bad you missed it but it seems like you 2 had a lovely day too! :) All the trees were green in Helsinki already one month ago when I was there.. but up here the trees didn't start to blossom until a few days ago and were at their best yesterday.. you know those light green babyleaves... that's what I like the best! :)) Okay well... I'll start heading towards Helsinki tomorrow.. Gonna go see my grandma in Joroinen and take a couple exams in Turku and then go to Kuopio to Sintti's christening. You gonna go there?

See you soon! :)
-Katriina

Pamela Rose said...

I am hoping that we will make it to the christening...look forward to seeing you in Helsinki...and I will probably take you up on your offer to babysit! Glad to hear that you all had a great day and great weather yesterday.Have a safe journey south!
See you!